The State Firemen's Association of Texas installed the Volunteer Firemen monument, the second monument on the Grounds. A bronze statue replaced the original obelisk and granite statue in 1905.
A fire at the blind institute (as it was called then) in 1877 cost the lives of Eugene Deats, volunteer fireman
This monument was created in honor of those – and then names of volunteer firemen who lost their lives in other fires in Austin were added continuously after that.
This is the second oldest monument created on the Capito Grounds.