_____

Image of the first words of the act creating the school along with early pics of buildings

___________

                                                                                               

 

firefighter monument being christened - 1896

1896

The State Firemen's Association of Texas installed the Volunteer Firemen monument, the second monument on the Grounds. A bronze statue replaced the original obelisk and granite statue in 1905.

A fire at the blind institute (as it was called then) in 1877 cost the lives of Eugene Deats, volunteer fireman

This monument was created in honor of those – and then names of volunteer firemen who lost their lives in other fires in Austin were added continuously after that.

This is the second oldest monument created on the Capito Grounds.

More info and a list of those who lost their lives