The confederate women's home with original limestone (1909). The building is located in Hyde Park at 38th street. The 'Mansion' is thought to be haunted by previous residents. The original building was modified to create housing for 20 more residents in the 1920s and 30s, but by the 1940s, the population began decreasing due to disease and attrition. The Widows Home was closed in 1963 and re-opened later when TSBVI started using it for its deafblind population.
In the early 1980s, the deaf-blind program was moved onto the present site on the main campus and the Confederate Widows' Home was sold. The proceeds from this sale were used for a new facility for the deaf-blind program on the main campus. The Deaf-Blind Program became known as Life Skills Program and is now referred to as the Functional Academics or the Basic Skills program.
"Over a period of 55 years, the Women’s Confederate Home housed 340 women, who would have otherwise had no one to care for them and no where to go. In 1963, the last 3 residents were moved to other nursing care facilities and the building was closed."