Maud Cuney Hare was one of the first notable women in Texas to use her own surname and her husband's as her full, official name.
Maud's father, Norris Cuney Wright, was considered the most powerful Black man in the 19th century. He also pushed for legislation - on one of the last days of 1887, to establish the Institute for Deaf, Dumb and Blind Colored Youths. The Institute morphed into the Blind Deaf and Orphan school (merging with the Corsican Orphanage) - and that school, in 1965, was closed and the students and teachers sent to either the Deaf School or the Blind School in Austin.
Cuney was a violinist and has deep roots in Austin's music scene.