On October 23rd, 1917, we moved into our third and permanent home - at 45th St., between Lamar and Guadalupe streets. The name changed in 1915 to Texas School for the Blind. Our 'Visually Impaired' designation was added in 1989.
Just the bare facts
In 1856, Governor Pease and Texas Legislators passed a bill that created the Institute for the Blind. TSBVI has many local roots - The Corsicana Orphanage and the Deaf, Dumb and Blind Institute for Colored Youths (Blind Deaf and Orphan's School) for example.